Saturday, January 28, 2012

Hanging Wet Bag

I finally  made a wet bag to use for "used" cloth diapers.  I have been 1/2 time cloth diapering for almost two years.  I have always used a plastic grocery sack and hung it in the closet.  It really works well, just not that pretty...

Today while watching the Cyclones beat KU I made one.  I followed this tutorial, but modified the dimensions to be 17"x20". 

The zipper is a little wonky.  It works but not as pretty as I would want it if I gave it to a friend.  Much prettier than a Fareway sack hanging in the closet!

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Mother's Day

I made this for my Mother, for Mother's Day.  I embroidered the kids hands on fabric.  The picture is not the greatest.  At the top of the hoop it says 2011.  It is meant to be homey, and hang on the wall in the hoop.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Easter outfits

I sewed during nap time for about a week.  Not bad for a beginning seamstress.  I took two trips to Joann's, and $22.00 (including Dallas $5 polo)  The girls dresses were made using this tutorial.  I found it easy to work with, I did have to make up Noelle's as the pattern did not size that small.  I had to make three bodices before one fit, and it was still a little wonky in the back.  But Noelle is not one size all over, she has a lot of chub in the trunk area!  Dallas bow tie was made using this tutorial.  It was very fast and easy.  I would do more in a heartbeat.  He  hated putting it on, but once on I think he simple forgot about it, as he wore it 12 + hours that day and didn't seem to mind.  His hat made using this tutorial.  I found the directions not to be as clear as I hoped, actually I wanted more pictures.  I am a visual learner, and love online tutorials for this reason, step by step pictures, thank you bloggers!  I did modify the hat to take some poof out of it, and to make it fit.  Original size it was too small, when I de-poofed it was really big.  I added some elastic, which helped the fit, and hopefully made it comfortable to wear. 
And the flower bow in Emily's hair, is based on some I have seen, I am sure there is a tute out there, but I didn't use one directly.  It is an assembly of 6 or so circles, the top four circles folded into quarters and placed on the other flat circles.  I sewed the whole thing together and then onto an aligator clip.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Heart Jean Patches

My little girl (and boy) put holes in all of their jeans at the wrong time of year!  There are no jeans in the stores right now, and Spring or Summer has yet to arrive, although the calendar says otherwise.  We have a no-holey jeans are worn out rule, so I needed to help the jeans so they would have something to wear!

Friday, April 1, 2011

The Domestic Goddess Apron - Amy Butler

I received this pattern Christmas 2009, along with some lovely Amy Butler fabric from the Midwest Modern line.  I love all Amy Butler fabric, if only it was a little cheaper. 

 It was a perfect gift, as I love to sew.  It is hard for me to get projects done that take longer than naptime.  Fast-forward two years, and I completed it.  This was my first sewn piece from a pattern using that thin tiny brown paper, and directions!  I am a visual learner, so the advent of bloggers putting patterns and pictures on their websites sure does help, and helps me build confidence.  This pattern was my first time tackling pleat.

I like it, I skipped the towel loop on the waistband, as I didn't see using that much.  I wish it was shorter, I must have misread the sizing on that part of the pattern!  Now I need to get cooking in the kitchen!

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Clip and Bow holder

Another in house craft. Used scrap fabric and ribbon, and a glassless frame I bought last year at a garage sale for $0.25. Emily likes it and does use it. She can get the clips on and off. It is sturdier that I thought, as her little brother has a tendency to just rip them off instead of unclasping them. Now to just find a spot to hang it, as it is it floats around the room. I try to think of it as a very cheery piece of art.
I took the backboard out of the frame and covered it in fabric, using my hot glue gun. I then attached three pieces of ribbon, gluing the ribbon onto the back of the board only. Snap the board back into the frame and you are done!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Decorating the nursery

I whipped up this little flag bunting while my husband was on his latest trip. I don't know why I always end up crafting or painting a room while he is gone, I should sleep extra instead! The nursery was first decorated 5 years ago, I liked it then... I never got around to personalising it for either kid. I guess I found it was time. I was over the "little bear" decor. I love the cheeriness this adds to the room. I feel like this is a more updated "name on the wall" project than the wooden letters seen everywhere.

Scrap fabric and blanket binding made this project come together easily in one evening. The one issue I had was my poor, not sharp hand-me-down pinking shears.